[Rd] Sweave Feature Requests and Questions

Roger Peng rdpeng at gmail.com
Tue May 11 23:20:13 CEST 2010

Hi, see below.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Charlotte Maia <maiagx at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Furthermore, any help appreciated here:
> 1. Does anyone know how to build Sweave documents, using Make, without
> starting a new instance (or multiple instances) of R, every time Make
> is called?

This can be worked around if you have code sections that don't change
at all, put them in a separate file and import them into the "main"
LaTeX document using '\input'. Then use the Makefile to specify the
dependencies between the LaTeX files. That way, when you run make the
first time, everything will run, but on subsequent calls to make,
Sweave will not be called as long as the code in the separate file
hasn't changed.

> 2. Does anyone know a simple workaround to problem 3, without killing
> the entire Sweave.sty file?
>
> Furthermore, I'm temped to stop Sweave from generating all the eps
> files (I saw an option for this in the Sweave documentation), however
> I'm concerned it may stop others from building the document, if they
> use postscript.
>
> Then again, do enough people use postscript, to warrant such consideration?

I don't think I've used postscript in about 8 years.

-roger

--
Roger D. Peng  |  http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/