[Rd] segfault interest?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:26:13 CET 2010

On 24/11/2010 11:18 AM, ivo welch wrote:
> in a long program, I ran into
>
>   *** caught segfault ***
> address 0xdc3f9b48, cause 'memory not mapped'
> Traceback:
>   1: rep.int(seq_len(nx), rep.int(rep.fac, nx))
>   2: rep.int(rep.int(seq_len(nx), rep.int(rep.fac, nx)), orep)
>   3: expand.grid(seq_len(nx), seq_len(ny))
>   4: merge.data.frame(d, ss)
>   5: merge(d, ss)
>   6: valid.range(opt)
>   7: eval.with.vis(expr, envir, enclos)
>   8: eval.with.vis(ei, envir)
>   9: source("fut-into-opts.R")
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
>

> I am pretty sure that I can program around it (and it is probably
> caused by my writing some error), but because it is replicable, I just
> wanted to learn if anyone is interested.  oh---the program is pure R
> code, nothing special (like linked in C code or stuff like this).  the
> error occurs on OSX.  if there is interest, please email me and let me
> know what would be most useful to supply.  if not, fine, too.

Yes, we're interested in segfaults that are due to bugs in R.  (If they
require a contributed package to trigger them, then they are often bugs
in the package, and you should start with the package maintainer.)

The general request is to simplify your code as much as possible, and
submit a self-contained demo.  If we can't reproduce the bug, we are
unlikely to be able to fix it, and might not even try.  See ?bug.report
for details on what to include, but don't follow the instructions there
for submission, because they're out of date:  go to
https://bugs.r-project.org instead.

Duncan Murdoch