[Rd] long double, C, fortran

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Thu Oct 7 21:45:23 CEST 2010

In working with small numbers, I usually look for a solution involving a
log transformation. For instance, when a or b are very small, we can
compute the ratio

a / ( a + b )

more safely by

1 / ( 1 + exp( log(b) - log(a) ) )

Alternative data types are sure to cause issues with portability. It's
not worth the headache if you can find an analytical solution like that
above. Some supposedly standard data types (including long double) are
simply not standard in regard to their size in memory. This short
Wikipedia article ought to scare anyone who cares about portability:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_double>.

If you are doing some specialty computations involving very large or
small numbers (e.g. computing the Bell number), you might consider the
CRAN package gmp, which wraps the GNU multiple precision arithmetic
library. Or consider using a language like Ruby, where multiple
precision is automatic
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrary-precision_arithmetic>.

-Matt

--