[Rd] Problem with WARNING...headers with CRLF line endings

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Sep 14 23:32:30 CEST 2010

Hi Christian,

On 09/14/2010 02:12 PM, cstrato wrote:
> Dear Simon,
>
> Thank you for this clarification/suggestion, however I am confused. What
> do you mean with "If the file is created automatically then it has no
> business being in the package."?

He means it shouldn't be in the source tarball. We run 'R CMD check'
on source trees or source tarballs. Source tarballs are platform
independent. If I understand correctly when you run 'R CMD build'
on your source tree, you use some trick to generate this src/xpsDict.h
file on Windows and this file ends up in the source tarball.
But the source tarball created on Linux won't have this file.
That doesn't sound like a good thing to me to have the content
of the source tarball depending on the machine you've run
'R CMD build'. In other words, you should try to generate this
src/xpsDict.h file at installation time but it shouldn't end up
in the source tarball.
My 2 cents...

Cheers,
H.

> If you download the source code of my package from:
> http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.7/bioc/html/xps.html
> you will see that this file is not in the package.
>
> However, I could indeed add the corrected files xpsDict.h and
> xpsDict.cxx to the source code of my package. There is only one problem.
> Currently the source code "xps_1.9.6.tar.gz" has a total size of 4MB.
> Adding the corrected files will add another 4MB to the source code.
>
> Best regards
> Christian
>

> On 9/14/10 9:59 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 14, 2010, at 2:27 PM, cstrato wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Bill,
>>>
>>> It would be great if this warning message could at least be
>>> suppressed on Windows.
>>>

>> I think you're missing the point - you should be fixing that file
>> instead - it doesn't matter whether you're on Windows or not. If the
>> file is created automatically then it has no business being in the
>> package. Otherwise you should simply post-process it (e.g., as Dirk
>> suggested) after it has been generated but before you create the
>> package - that is the common practice with generated files that need
>> to be part of the distribution.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon

Hervé Pagès