[Rd] How to set up an own package repository

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Sep 17 16:07:46 CEST 2010

On Sep 17, 2010, at 6:16 AM, Janko Thyson wrote:

> Dear List,
>

> I'd like to set up a package repository so I can use install.packages() on
> it for home-grown packages. I set up an AMPP infrastructure on a windows box
> already, but I'm pretty lost with respect to what to do next as I didn't do
> any web-programming/admin yet. Could anyone recommend some r-specific
> tutorials or has a couple of suggestions for me? I've had a look at the
> official R manual, but it just describes the required repository structure,
> but not how to implement that. I'd also be willing to dive into SVN and
> alikes if you think that's best practice.

All you need is a web space. There are so many way to get one (many hosting provides, renting a server, accessing your home machine if your ISP allows it ...) that it's impossible to give a generic instruction. Once you get a webspace, it's just a matter of creating the directory structure described in R-admin in that space. Most hosting provides have web tools for that so you create the directories and upload your files.

What you are trying to achieve is that if you have let's say
http://someHosting.com/myAccount
as the root for your web space to support
install.packages("myPackage",,"http://someHosting.com/myAccount")
then you want
http://someHosting.com/myAccount/src/contrib/PACKAGES
to exist and have the list of the packages (see R-admin) and your package sources in there. Analogously you want to create the binaries (Windows, Mac OS X etc.) in the corresponding bin/.../contrib folders so other users can install it without type='source'.

Of course you can use install.packages("myPackage",,"file:///myRepository") and have the files locally in /myRepository/src/contrib if you're only concerned about your local use.

Cheers,
Simon