[Rd] Issues with building package with C src on windows [R CMD INSTALL ignoring makefile]

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Dec 19 16:42:48 CET 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Jonathan Shore wrote:

> I've written a rather complex package that requires overriding the default compilation behavior for the C code component.   In the src dir I have a Makefile that is used correctly on OSX and Linux builds of the package, but completely ignored on windows.
>
> R CMD INSTALL <package>
>
> on windows runs Makeconf instead of running make on my Makefile.    If run make in the src directory manually on windows, the shared library compiles.

See R-ext - you probably need to create Makefile.win

Note that in most cases it is unnecessary to use Makefile -  you can add targets to Makevars which will supply you with the correct flags and give you flexibility whereas Makefile is very limited in that you need to write all rules by hand which is very error prone and likely to break with new R versions.

Cheers,
Simon