[Rd] using rasterImage within image

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:06:35 CET 2011

On 11-02-08 10:03 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Ben,
>
> did you actually look at the result of your function with useRaster=TRUE ? ;) [Hint: don't use an image that is symmetric]
>
> Apart from that nice bug there are more issues as well, try
> image(matrix(1:4,2),col=1:3)
> The underlying issue is that as.raster() is not quite what you would hope.
> Unfortunately I'm not aware of an easy fix (that doesn't involve going
back to RGB decomposition).

> In general, I think it's a nice option, but I don't think you'll get away with only a few lines...
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:49 PM, Ben Bolker wrote:
>

>>  Has anyone yet tried incorporating rasterImage into the base image()
>> function?  It seems to make a *huge* difference, with
>> a very small number of added/changed lines of code.  (Of course I have
>> barely tested it at all.)
>>  Is there any reason this *shouldn't* go into the next release?
>>
>>> source("image.R")
>>> z <- matrix(runif(1e6),nrow=1000)
>>> image(z)
>>> image(z,useRaster=TRUE)
>>
>>  (Patch against SVN 54284 attached; people can contact me if it doesn't
>> go through and they want it.)
>>
>>  Ben Bolker

  Trying again. Rotated counterclockwise within R (although this *could*
be coded in C if speed were important?)
  Some brute-force testing suggests it is *slightly* slower for small
images (7 vs 8 seconds for 1000 reps) and still much faster (and
produces much smaller images, which don't suffer from antialiasing junk
in my PDF viewer) for large images.