[Rd] Ignoring .Rprofile when installing a package

Jon Clayden jon.clayden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 17:25:49 CET 2011

Dear all,

Is there a way to force R CMD INSTALL to ignore ~/.Rprofile and
similar? I presume it sources these startup files for a reason, but
I've found that it can cause confusion or problems. In particular, my
~/.Rprofile loads a few packages which I very frequently use, but this
stops me from installing new versions of their dependencies; viz.

$ R CMD INSTALL tractor.base
* installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library’
* installing *source* package ‘tractor.base’ ...
** R
** data
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error: package ‘tractor.base’ is required by ‘tractor.opt’ so will not
be detached
* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tractor.base’
* restoring previous
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tractor.base’

I've tried R --vanilla CMD INSTALL, but that seems to have no effect.
This is R 2.12.1 on Mac OS X.6.6. Any pointers appreciated.

All the best,
Jon