[Rd] Ignoring .Rprofile when installing a package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 17:57:54 CET 2011

The most obvious answer is not to do that.  You have not used the
standard mechanism to to do that (which should work here as R CMD
INSTALL overrides that one).  It's all in ?Startup (look for
R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES).

The simplest way to ignore ~/.Rprofile is to set R_PROFILE_USER to
something else.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Jon Clayden wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there a way to force R CMD INSTALL to ignore ~/.Rprofile and
> similar? I presume it sources these startup files for a reason, but
> I've found that it can cause confusion or problems. In particular, my
> ~/.Rprofile loads a few packages which I very frequently use, but this
> stops me from installing new versions of their dependencies; viz.
>
> $ R CMD INSTALL tractor.base
> * installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library’
> * installing *source* package ‘tractor.base’ ...
> ** R
> ** data
> ** preparing package for lazy loading
> Error: package ‘tractor.base’ is required by ‘tractor.opt’ so will not
> be detached
> * removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tractor.base’
> * restoring previous
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tractor.base’
>
> I've tried R --vanilla CMD INSTALL, but that seems to have no effect.

As documented.