[Rd] How to make a package with help pages in multiple languages?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 21:34:23 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:

> This question was adsked on R-help-es, and got no responses there.
> the OP asked for help pages in english and spanish. Any ideas how this
> should be done? I guess there really should be a solution for any number of
> languages.

Rcmdr had English and Spanish help overviews, as I recall, and now has
PDFs in English, Spanish, Japanese and Russian.

The short answer is that we don't have a way to do it, and we have a
default encoding for a package which makes this awkward.  I think I
would simply prepare separate packages foo.en and foo.es which
differed only in the man directory (and there are packages
openNLPmodels.{en.es}).  And although they do differ in detail, the
two largest installed packages on CRAN are nutshell and nutshellDE.

If there were enough demand and someone was prepared to put the work
in, we could have man-es in the sources and help-es, html-es in the
installed packages.  But the amount of work would be non-trivial, as
for example 'R CMD check' would have to check all the installed
languages.  But I suspect the demand is far too low to consider doing
this.