[Rd] How to make a package with help pages in multiple languages?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 21:42:38 CET 2011

On 22/02/2011 2:36 PM, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> This question was adsked on R-help-es, and got no responses there.
> the OP asked for help pages in english and spanish. Any ideas how this
> should be done? I guess there really should be a solution for any number of
> languages.

I don't think there is any easy way to do this currently, but it would
be a good idea.

I think we would need a fair bit of work to add the support for it, so
it's not likely to arrive soon unless someone is eager to do the work.

Here are some thoughts:

  - Allow a type of package that contains language-specific
documentation for another package or multiple packages.  When such a
package is attached, pages in it are shown in preference to the regular
ones, with an automatic link to the regular one generated (in case the
translation is out of date or incorrect).
- Perhaps such a package is automatically attached when the original is
attached, if the locale says to use that language?

Duncan Murdoch