[Rd] R vs. C

David Henderson dnadavewa at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 19:57:32 CET 2011

I think we're also forgetting something, namely testing.  If you write your
routine in C, you have placed additional burden upon yourself to test your C
code through unit tests, etc.  If you write your code in R, you still need the
unit tests, but you can rely on the well tested nature of R to allow you to
reduce the number of tests of your algorithm.  I routinely tell people at Sage
Bionetworks where I am working now that your new C code needs to experience at
least one order of magnitude increase in performance to warrant the effort of
moving from R to C.

But, then again, I am working with scientists who are not primarily, or even
secondarily, coders...

Dave H