[Rd] R vs. C

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Mon Jan 17 20:08:34 CET 2011

       Another point I have not yet seen mentioned:  If your code is
painfully slow, that can often be fixed without leaving R by
experimenting with different ways of doing the same thing -- often after
using profiling your code to find the slowest part as described in
chapter 3 of "Writing R Extensions".

       If I'm given code already written in C (or some other language),
unless it's really simple, I may link to it rather than recode it in R.
However, the problems with portability, maintainability, transparency to
others who may not be very facile with C, etc., all suggest that it's
well worth some effort experimenting with alternate ways of doing the
same thing in R before jumping to C or something else.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer