[Rd] Windows script editor and locale

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:14:45 CET 2011

Maybe I'm just overlooking something, but I can't figure out how to set/change the locale of a file loaded into the built-in script editor on Windows.

The generic issue is that if I make a teaching script on a Mac, save it to a USB stick, and open it in the script editor in a classroom, then special Danish characters in the comments come out as two-byte sequences, which are pretty unsightly. I know that I can convert the file with iconv (or iconv()), but then I'd have to maintain two copies of the same file for the two operating systems, if I want the students to access it. Would be nice if there was something like a set-coding-system to call up via a menu item.

Any pointers?

--
Peter Dalgaard
Phone: (+45)38153501