[Rd] Windows script editor and locale

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 16:57:45 CET 2011

There is no support for files in alternative encodings in RGui's
menus: not to source files nor to load into a pager or the script
editor.  (I believe all of those long predate any support for
encodings in R.)

Such provision is rather rare on Windows: files are almost everywhere
assumed to be in the current Windows codepage (or sometimes WinANSI,
as in the 'Command prompt' terminal) or in so-called Unicode (usually
UCS-2LE, possibly UTF-16LE, with a BOM).

I think you could equally ask the same question in reverse: AFAICS the
R.app GUI has no support for Latin-1 nor UCS-2LE files.  At least in
our UK experience, the proportion of non-Windows users is so low that
it is those (including this instructor) who expect to adjust.

What might make some sense is for file.edit() to gain a 'fileEncoding'
argument so this could at least be done from the command-line.