[Rd] Best practices for writing R functions

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jul 22 17:36:27 CEST 2011

On Jul 22, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Alireza Mahani wrote:

> I am developing an R package for internal use, and eventually for public
> release. My understanding is that there is no easy way to avoid copying
> function arguments in R (i.e. we don't have the concept of pointers in R),
> which makes me wary of freely creating chains of function calls since each
> function call implies data copy overhead.
>
> Is the above assessment fair?

No. Although R maintains the illusion of pass-by-value, it does to considerable length to prevent copying if not needed:

> r=rnorm(1e6)
> tracemem(r)
[1] "<0x103fa2000>"
> f = function(x) x
> invisible(f(f(f(f(f(f(r)))))))

As you see not a single copy is created even though there are 6 function calls.

As Spencer said, you should not worry unless you see a sign of a problem.

Cheers,
Simon