[Rd] Does anybody successfully built latest R on AIX 5.3?

Stefan Theussl stefan.theussl at wu.ac.at
Wed Jun 8 14:39:40 CEST 2011

On 06/08/2011 02:02 PM, XiaoboGu wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
> 	Thanks for replying!
>
> 	I have just managed to installed gcc 4.2.4.2 on AIX this evening, and will try to install gfortran tomorrow, there are a few more questions

great.
> 1. Are you running R 2.13.0

Currently we are running 2.12.0 (works with both GNU and IBM compilers).
I was not able to compile 2.13 with GNU compilers yet, IBM compilers
work though (are preferable anyway, since performance is higher):

R version 2.13.0 Patched (2011-06-08 r56086)
Copyright (C) 2011 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: powerpc-ibm-aix6.1.0.0 (64-bit)

Type 'q()' to quit R.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.13.0 Patched (2011-06-08 r56086)
Platform: powerpc-ibm-aix6.1.0.0 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] EN_US.UTF-8 EN_US.UTF-8 C C EN_US.UTF-8 EN_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

However recommended package Matrix gives an error upon loading.
> 2. Can you share all the environment variables we have to set before running the configure script.

See the manual and
https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/install_scripts/install_R_AIX.sh?view=markup&root=aix

You may download this script (and patches), modify the paths
accordingly, run it (e.g., ./install_R_AIX.sh --ibm for 2.13) and R
should build fine.
There are a couple of notes and patches provided in the R/AIX repository
on R-Forge (e.g., how to get IBM BLAS linked etc., missing third-party
libs installed, etc.).

> 3. Can you share the full command line of configure script.

see above.
> 4. According to your experience, is there a huge performance lift compared to X86 CPUS, what's the clock speed of you Power CPU?

No there isn't. One can use the IBM BLAS library (ESSL), then one will
observe a significant speedup for linear algebra tasks. Note however,
ESSL does not incorporate the full BLAS specification (thus the patch).
In general, R  runs slower on the power architecture than on x86.
We have a Power 6 8core CPU @ 3.5 GHz. Actually, we use our system
mainly for memory-demanding applications (<=128GB RAM).

Best,
st