[Rd] vignette typesetting issue

robin hankin hankin.robin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:10:55 CET 2011

Hi

I am preparing a vignette, and I am finding that LaTeX ties (that is,
the tilde symbol, "~", used to tell LaTeX not to make a newline
in the output), are appearing as actual tildes.  This is not desired behaviour
for me.  Thus the PDF includes things like this:

". . . taken directly from~Oakley (1999)....".

[this typeset as "taken directly from~\cite{oakley1999}..."].

I do not want the tilde to appear in the PDF file.
I do not want to remove the tilde symbols because then latex would
be free to make a line break between "from" and "Oakley", which
is poor form.

The issue does not arise on my Mac, and I expect that it is down
to some latex setting or style file.

Does anyone recognize this problem?

Can anyone advise?

--