[Rd] Using missing() in a S4 method with extra arguments

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Mar 11 15:00:11 CET 2011

On 03/11/2011 02:07 AM, Andreas Borg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a function which makes use of missing() to determine which
> arguments are provided in the call - basically, there are two sets of
> arguments that map to different strategies the function uses to fulfill
> its task. After conversion to an S4 generic I've run into the problem
> that if a method uses extra arguments that are not in the signature of
> the generic, usage of missing() fails. The following example exemplifies
> this:
>
>    setGeneric("fun", function(x=0, y=0, ...) standardGeneric("fun"))
>    # both methods should output if the second argument is missing
>    setMethod("fun", "character", function(x=0, y=0, ...) missing(y))
>    setMethod("fun", "numeric", function(x=0, y=0, z=0, ...) missing(y))
>
>    fun("a") # this works fine
>    fun(1) # this gives "FALSE

Hi Andreas --

if you're testing for the missing-ness of y, and y is in the function
signature, then use that for dispatch

   setMethod(fun, c("character", "missing"),
             function(x=0, y=0, z=0, ...) "missing")
   setMethod(fun, c("character", "ANY"),
             function(x=0, y=0, z=0, ...) "not missing")

Since you're dispatching on x and y, it doesn't really make sense (to me
;) to assign default values to them. Testing for missing-ness of z would
I think have to rely on NA / NULL or other sentinel.

Martin