[Rd] hook for when R quits

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Mar 11 21:11:35 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2011 1:37 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that R finalizes all of its
>>> objects when it quits. At least a simple test suggests that on Linux.
>>
>> Did you use onexit=TRUE?  On Windows that appears to work...

Agree - here an object finalizer is more appropriate (different from
an end-of-session hook).

> It does work: RODBC makes extensive use of it, for exactly the purpose you
> describe (or rather, the C_level equivalent of 'it').

In help(reg.finalizer) it says:

  'onexit': logical: should the finalizer be run if the object is
still uncollected at the end of the R session?

What environments, objects, search path etc are available when the
finalizer is called this way when R exits?  Is safe to always add
'onexit=TRUE' (which now defaults to FALSE), or should I expect an
"exceptional" R system that the finalizer needs to account for?

Is there any further documentation on what happens when an R session
shuts down and in which order?

/Henrik