[Rd] Tinycore & error in memCompress() in make check

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 17:00:09 CET 2011

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, Sigbert Klinke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I get the same error as mentioned in
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/error-in-memCompress-in-make-check-td3318922.html
>

> I try to compile R 2.12.2 under Tinycore 3.5.1 running in VirtualBox 4.0.4.
>
> Since first xz was not installed I must have used the internal version
> which comes with the R source tar ball. But after installing the xz
> 5.0.0 extension the error remained. Any idea what else I could do?

Report the problem to your OS vendor or VM vendor?  I'd be almost
certain that the 'minimal example' does not involve R.  Most likely
the problem is with how the VM reports memory usage/availability to
xz.

(FWIW I have built and tested R under several OSes under VirtualBox,
including Fedora 12 i686 and FreeBSD 8.2 amd64.)