[Rd] Fixing the HDF5 package: the on.exit mystery

H C Pumphrey H.C.Pumphrey at ed.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 17:49:52 CET 2011

H C Pumphrey wrote:

>> I'm trying to fix a subtle bug in the hdf5 package. This package
>> provides an interfaces to the HDF5 library and hence allows one to
>> load data into R from files in the HDF5 format. The bug appeared
>> during a period in which R changed but the package did not. [details
>> snipped]

> I have fixed the bug in a more crude and obvious manner [...]

> I will try uploading the package to CRAN at some point, but I think I'll
> use it myself for a bit to see whether it has any other nasties. If
> anyone wants to try it in the meantime you can get it at
> [A URL which was not easy to find :-( ]

 > I'd be particularly interested to know if it can be built on Windows/MacOS
 > and, if not, why not.

Two users report that it installs OK in MacOSX: many thanks.
Two users report that it doesn't build on Windows. Brian Ripley provided fixes
for this. I have incorporated these and bumped the package version to 1.7.1.
(I'm afraid I don't know much about building R packages with compiled code on
Windows: I am grateful for any help that others can provide on this.)

As the link I gave was rather buried in a long web page I have moved it to a
shorter one that contains only relevant information:
http://xweb.geos.ed.ac.uk/~hcp/Rhdf5.html

best wishes

Hugh

--

============S=u=p=p=o=r=t===D=e=b=i=a=n===http://www.debian.org =========
Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey          | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-662-0478
The University of Edinburgh   | Email: H.C.Pumphrey at ed.ac.uk
EDINBURGH EH9 3JN, Scotland   | web: www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/hcp

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.