[Rd] another import puzzle

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Mar 26 19:52:28 CET 2011

On 03/26/2011 11:14 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:

>    Dear list,
>
>    I have another (again possibly boneheaded) puzzle about importing,
> again encapsulated in a nearly trivial package.  (The package is posted
> at<http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/bolker/misc/coefsumtest_0.001.tar.gz>.)
>
>    The package consists (only) of the following S3 method definitions:
>
> coeftab<- function(object, ...) UseMethod("coeftab",object)
> coeftab.default<- function(object,...) {
>    print(class(summary(object)))
>    coef(summary(object))
> }
>
>    The NAMESPACE tries to pull in the necessary bits and pieces from lme4
> to extract summaries and coefficients:
>
> export("coeftab","coeftab.default")
> importClassesFrom(lme4,"mer","summary.mer")
> importMethodsFrom(lme4,"coef","summary","show","print")

It 'turns out' that base::summary is an S3 generic. Matrix creates an S4
generic that is distinct from base::summary (e.g., so that the default
behavior of summary isn't altered for packages that want to have nothing
to do with Matrix). Dispatch needs to go through the generic. lme4 has
methods on Matrix::summary, not on base::summary, so without the
Matrix::summary generic your object never sees the summary method for
lme4 objects.

So you need to Import: Matrix and importFrom(Matrix, summary).

Martin Morgan