[Rd] Standalone C++ application for processing R parser output(SEXP)

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 23:07:58 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Rob Anderson <rkjandra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to write a source-to-source compiler for R. I am trying to
> leverage the R parser code for the purpose. I am trying to transform the
> SEXP returned from the parser into an AST for our own Ruby embedded Domain
> specific language.
>
> I tried using R CMD SHBIN to compile a C function that parses arbitrary R
> expressions. But I think, the generated .so file can be used from within R
> and not be called from other C or Ruby programs(I get linker errors).

I hope I am not telling you what you already know.   There are working
examples of "C Standalone" programs that link with R mathlib. I
learned from the examples here

http://www.math.ncu.edu.tw/~chenwc/R_note/index.php?item=standalone

and

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/classes/s243/rmath.html

I can't say for sure if these give you access to all of the R stuff
you want, but you do get access to quite a bit.

PJ

> My Idea  is to use the SEXP processing functions/MACROS (CAR, CDR, CADR,
> etc..) from within C code and transform it to our AST format. I tried
> linking to libR.a and other lib*.so's when I compile the C code using gcc
> but, it doesn't work.
>
> I read that R exposes only small number of functions for library/package
> writers and the compiled *.so can only from within R.
>
> Any ideas on what is wrong, or how I can go about it?
>
> Appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks
> RJ

Paul E. Johnson