[Rd] .Fortran successful, R locks up.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 27 05:49:05 CEST 2011

You seem to have missed the force of the warning in 'Writing R
Extensions'.

If you include *any* Fortrann I/O in your package code, you are at
risk from it interfering with C I/O, whether or not that Fortran I/O
is called.

On some platforms with gfortran, merely loading such a package's
DSO/DLL calls the libgfortran initialization functions and they reset
the process' stdin, causing the behaviour you saw.

You have not told us what compilers etc you are using.  On some
versions of gfortran you can avoid this by setting the environment
variables

GFORTRAN_STDOUT_UNIT
GFORTRAN_STDERR_UNIT

to -1: these tell gfortran not to use C stdout/stderr (and because of
what I can only see is a bug, it was the use of those which resets
stdin).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk