[Rd] datalist and data objects in R Package building

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Mar 28 17:39:43 CEST 2011

On 24.03.2011 16:51, andrew stewart wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have,say 4 R objects...  bar1, bar2, bar3, bar4.. that I'd like to include
> in an R package "foobar".
>
> The desired functionality would be:
>
>> library(foobar)
>> data(foo)
>> ls()
> [1] "bar1" "bar2" "bar3" "bar4"
>
> I've tried the following two approaches:
>
> 1) I created the file 'datalist' under pre-build directory 'foobar/data/'
> with the following contents:
> foo: bar1 bar2 bar3 bar4
>
> After package build and install, "data(foo)" reports that data set 'foo' not
> found (bar1, bar2, etc are all available individually, and are listed under
> data() as "bar1 (foo)".

If you want just one object "foo", then prpare a list

foo <- list(bar1,...)

that contains the 4 objects bar1, ... .
You can load that objects and access the list components afterwards.

I think you misunderstood the data concept: You can save objects and
load them if the package is installed. That's it.

Best,
Uwe Ligges