[Rd] Non-free packages in R-Forge

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso jordigh at octave.org
Fri Nov 18 19:00:31 CET 2011

I'm sorry about the tone of my previous email. Let me try again in a
cleaner way.

The problem is: R or the organisation behind R via its infrastructure
seems to be endorsing R-Forge, and R-Forge is hosting at least one
project whose sole purpose is to link R with non-free software. This
looks like endorsement of non-free software, which is contrary to the
aims of the GNU project, of which R today claims to be a part.

There are several solutions, but the only workable ones I see are to
either sever ties with the GNU project, clearly remove the endorsement
of the non-free project, or to make the non-free project free. Of
these, it is my sincere hope that the last one happens.

That is all.

- Jordi G. H.