[Rd] Non-free packages in R-Forge

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 19:17:46 CET 2011

On Nov 18, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> I'm sorry about the tone of my previous email. Let me try again in a
> cleaner way.
>
> The problem is: R or the organisation behind R via its infrastructure
> seems to be endorsing R-Forge, and R-Forge is hosting at least one
> project whose sole purpose is to link R with non-free software. This
> looks like endorsement of non-free software, which is contrary to the
> aims of the GNU project, of which R today claims to be a part.

Are you aware that R has two other major trunks besides the Linux one?
Those of us with Mac or Windows hardware/software devices might be
threatened with discontinuation of our access to R if your logic
prevails.

> There are several solutions, but the only workable ones I see are to
> either sever ties with the GNU project, clearly remove the endorsement
> of the non-free project, or to make the non-free project free. Of
> these, it is my sincere hope that the last one happens.

This entire argument seems quasi-religious. You seem to be claiming
that there is a "non-free" moral and legal sinfulness that is passed
by way of links on websites. There do not seem to be any boundaries to
this process that are discernable from your writings.

> That is all.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT