[Rd] difficulty with 'parallel' in building r57032 -- missing Makefile?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:57:01 CEST 2011

  From SVN revision 57032, with configuration

R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /usr/local

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2

  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
  Obj-C compiler:

  Interfaces supported:      X11
  External libraries:        readline
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, NLS, cairo
  Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling, Java

  Recommended packages:      yes

  having run tools/rsync-recommended, I get stuck at:

make[3]: Entering directory
`/mnt/hgfs/bolker/Documents/R/r-devel/src/library/parallel'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/hgfs/bolker/Documents/R/r-devel/src/library/parallel'
make[2]: *** [R] Error 1

  I don't know quite enough about configure/make/etc. to know what's
going wrong here, but it seems that one symptom is that "Makefile" does
not exist/is not built in src/library/parallel ... Makefile.in and
Makefile.win  in my fumbling way, I looked through configure,
configure.ac, etc., comparing what is done with the "splines" package,
and no glaring differences leap out at me -- so I'm stumped.

 If I do ./configure --without-parallel; make , it works.

  If I'm being an idiot please be gentle ...

  Ben Bolker