[Rd] difficulty with 'parallel' in building r57032 -- missing Makefile?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 21:29:56 CEST 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 20:57 , Ben Bolker wrote:

>  From SVN revision 57032, with configuration
>
> R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
>  Source directory:          .
>  Installation directory:    /usr/local
>
>  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
>  Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2
>
>  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
>  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
>  Obj-C compiler:
>
>  Interfaces supported:      X11
>  External libraries:        readline
>  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, NLS, cairo
>  Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling, Java
>
>  Recommended packages:      yes
>

>  having run tools/rsync-recommended, I get stuck at:
>

> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/mnt/hgfs/bolker/Documents/R/r-devel/src/library/parallel'
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/mnt/hgfs/bolker/Documents/R/r-devel/src/library/parallel'
> make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
>
>  I don't know quite enough about configure/make/etc. to know what's
> going wrong here, but it seems that one symptom is that "Makefile" does
> not exist/is not built in src/library/parallel ... Makefile.in and
> Makefile.win  in my fumbling way, I looked through configure,
> configure.ac, etc., comparing what is done with the "splines" package,
> and no glaring differences leap out at me -- so I'm stumped.
>
> If I do ./configure --without-parallel; make , it works.
>

>  If I'm being an idiot please be gentle ...

Hmm, did you do this as a squeaky-clean build? I think I saw something like that on OSX and it disappeared after "make distclean" and reconfiguration.

It's fairly common that a clean build is required after changes to the directory structure or similar changes to the build structure. Every once in a while, it is just not worth the trouble to ensure that you can keep previously built intermediate files.

Also, try not building in the source directory. It's much easier to clean up if build in a separate build directory.