[Rd] [patch] giving library() a 'version' argument

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:21:48 CEST 2012

On 12-04-11 11:28 AM, Ken Williams wrote:
> I've made a small enhancement to R that would help developers better control what versions of code we're using where.  Basically, to load a package in R, one currently does:
>
>                  library(whateverPackage)
>
> and with the enhancement, you can ensure that you're getting at least version X of the package:
>
>                  library(whateverPackage, version=3.14)
>
> Reasons one might want this include:
>
>    * you know that in version X some bug was fixed
>    * you know that in version X some feature was added
>    * that's the first version you've actually tested it with&  you don't want to vouch for earlier versions without testing
>    * you develop on one machine&  deploy on another machine you don't control, and you want runtime checks that the sysadmin installed what they were supposed to install

I don't really see the need for this.  Packages already have a scheme
for requiring a particular version of a package, so this would only be
useful in scripts run outside of packages.  But what if your script
requires a particular (perhaps obsolete) version of a package?  This
change only puts a lower bound on the version number, and version
requirements can be more elaborate than that.

I think my advice would be:

1.  Put your code in a package, and use the version specifications there.

2.  If you must write it in a script, then put a version test at the
top, using packageVersion().

Duncan Murdoch