[Rd] Vignette questions

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:42:51 CEST 2012

On 12-04-12 03:15 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 12.04.2012 01:16, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>>

>> On 12-04-11 04:41 PM, Terry Therneau wrote:
>>> Context: R2.15-0 on Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> 1. I get a WARNING from CMD check for "Package vignette(s) without
>>> corresponding PDF:
>>> In this case the vignettes directory had both the pdf and Rnw; do I need
>>> to move the pdf to inst/doc?
>>
>> Yes, you need to put the pdf in the inst/doc directory if it cannot be
>> built by R-forge and CRAN check machines, but leave the Rnw in the
>> vignettes directory.
>
> No, this is all done automatically by R CMD build, hence you do not need
> to worry.

Now I am not sure if I am confused or if you missed the "if it cannot be
built by R-forge and CRAN" part of my sentence. I understand that this
is done automatically by R CMD build for vignettes that can be built on
all, or most, R platforms. In the situation where R CMD build on R-forge
will fail, or not result in a complete vignette pdf, I think it is
necessary to put a good  pdf in inst/doc in order to get a build on
R-forge that can be submitted to CRAN. That is, in situations like:

   -the vignette requires databases or drivers not generally available
   -the vignette (legitimately) takes forever to run
   -the vignette requires a cluster

I am now wondering what the recommended practice is. What I have been
doing, which I thought was the recommended practice, is to put the
vignette Rnw (Stex) file in vignettes/ and put a pdf, constructed on a
machine that has appropriate resources, into inst/doc.  Is that the
recommended way to proceed?

Related, some have commented that they put a pdf in inst/doc and then
leave out the vignette Rnw file to avoid error messages. Is the
discouraged or encouraged?

Paul