[Rd] url, readLines, source behind a proxy

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za
Wed Apr 18 07:22:14 CEST 2012

Hi Henrik,

I am sure it would time out indeed. I am fine with time out due to poor
connection, but get a bit frustrated if my connection is fine and timeout
occurs because proxy settings are not read. All the more if I have to run
R CMD check multiple times and wait for the timeout.
But the issue might also be coming from my proxy, which somehow does not
like the way url() reads remote content.

Could anybody behind a proxy check if the issue can be reproduced?
My proxy is in fact provided by cntml, which acts as a local proxy that
takes care of tricky authentication protocols with the actual university
proxy, not natively supported by my system (Ubuntu). Anybody in this case?

Thanks.

Renaud