[Rd] url, readLines, source behind a proxy

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:04:49 CEST 2012

Hi Renaud,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Renaud Gaujoux
<renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi Henrik,

<snip>

> Could anybody behind a proxy check if the issue can be reproduced?
> My proxy is in fact provided by cntml, which acts as a local proxy that
> takes care of tricky authentication protocols with the actual university
> proxy, not natively supported by my system (Ubuntu). Anybody in this case?

I can replicate this on a WinXP system, where I normally have to use
the --internet2 flag to get internet access through a proxy.

?download.file has a section on "Setting Proxies", which describes how
to use environment variables to set proxy information.  Setting
http_proxy='http://my.proxy.com/' was enough for me to get R CMD
check to run successfully with the --as-cran flag.

> Thanks.
> Renaud

Best,
--