[Rd] Compilation failure on Solaris: any advice?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 6 16:12:49 CET 2012

    > Is that a build with "good old" Studio or a build with a recent GCC?
    > I don't have any direct comments that would be helpful to you - but let me
    > know if you need a place to do some test builds and try to figure it out.
    > I can certainly help you with that.

    > [Are more Solaris-esque build slaves needed?  Someone give a shout if so...
    > we can sponsor some infrastructure there.]

`` shout! ''

as long we (R community at large "in principle", de facto,
   	    AFAIK, Prof Brian Ripley)
can have a Solaris testbed for CRAN which is reflected in the
CRAN package check, it would be really great if someone provided
a "Solaris-builder" server similar to the
win-builder.r-project.org one that Uwe (and his Depaertment/
University) provides.

Martin

    > --elijah
    > (@Joyent)

    > On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Jon Clayden <jon.clayden at gmail.com> wrote:

    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> The current version of my RNiftyReg package is failing to compile on CRAN's
    >> Solaris testbed, but I don't have access to a Solaris system to debug on,
    >> and Googling the error hasn't been very helpful. The error is
    >>
    >> CC -library=stlport4 -I/home/ripley/R/cc/include -DNDEBUG -DNDEBUG
    >> -DRNIFTYREG -I/usr/local/include    -KPIC  -O -xlibmil -xtarget=native
    >> -nofstore  -c niftyreg.cpp -o niftyreg.o
    >> "_reg_f3d_sym.cpp", line 25: Error: reg_f3d may not have a type qualifier.
    >> "niftyreg.cpp", line 527:     Where: While instantiating
    >> "reg_f3d_sym<double>::reg_f3d_sym(int, int)".
    >> "niftyreg.cpp", line 527:     Where: Instantiated from non-template code.
    >> "_reg_f3d_sym.cpp", line 26: Error: reg_f3d<T> cannot be initialized
    >> in a constructor.
    >> "niftyreg.cpp", line 527:     Where: While instantiating
    >> "reg_f3d_sym<double>::reg_f3d_sym(int, int)".
    >> "niftyreg.cpp", line 527:     Where: Instantiated from non-template code.
    >> "_reg_f3d_sym.cpp", line 26: Error: Could not find
    >> reg_f3d<double>::reg_f3d() to initialize base class.
    >> "niftyreg.cpp", line 527:     Where: While instantiating
    >> "reg_f3d_sym<double>::reg_f3d_sym(int, int)".
    >> "niftyreg.cpp", line 527:     Where: Instantiated from non-template code.
    >> 3 Error(s) detected.
    >> *** Error code 2
    >> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `niftyreg.o'
    >>

    >> (Full log at [1].) The relevant part of the source is a C++ class
    >> constructor, part of the library that my package interfaces to:
    >>
    >> template <class T>
    >> reg_f3d_sym<T>::reg_f3d_sym(int refTimePoint,int floTimePoint)
    >> :reg_f3d<T>::reg_f3d(refTimePoint,floTimePoint)
    >> {
    this-> executableName=(char *)"NiftyReg F3D SYM";

    this-> backwardControlPointGrid=NULL;
    this-> backwardWarped=NULL;
    this-> backwardWarpedGradientImage=NULL;
    this-> backwardDeformationFieldImage=NULL;
    this-> backwardVoxelBasedMeasureGradientImage=NULL;
    this-> backwardNodeBasedGradientImage=NULL;

    this-> backwardBestControlPointPosition=NULL;
    this-> backwardConjugateG=NULL;
    this-> backwardConjugateH=NULL;

    this-> backwardProbaJointHistogram=NULL;
    this-> backwardLogJointHistogram=NULL;

    this-> floatingMaskImage=NULL;
    this-> currentFloatingMask=NULL;
    this-> floatingMaskPyramid=NULL;