[Rd] Compilation failure on Solaris: any advice?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Dec 6 16:34:48 CET 2012

On 6 December 2012 at 16:12, Martin Maechler wrote:

|     > Is that a build with "good old" Studio or a build with a recent GCC?
|     > I don't have any direct comments that would be helpful to you - but let me
|     > know if you need a place to do some test builds and try to figure it out.
|     > I can certainly help you with that.
|
|     > [Are more Solaris-esque build slaves needed?  Someone give a shout if so...
|     > we can sponsor some infrastructure there.]
|
| `` shout! ''

:)

| as long we (R community at large "in principle", de facto,
|    	    AFAIK, Prof Brian Ripley)
| can have a Solaris testbed for CRAN which is reflected in the
| CRAN package check, it would be really great if someone provided
| a "Solaris-builder" server similar to the
| win-builder.r-project.org one that Uwe (and his Depaertment/
| University) provides.

In a world with finite resources in terms of coding time and attention span,
should we not provide such resources first for OS X and Linux?  But maybe we
need some empirics first so that we can rank-order compilers by relevance.

I for one get more error emails from Intel icc users (say, two a year) than
from Solaris users (probably about one or two, over all these years; and yes
I excluded the CRAN maintainers here).

That said, we do have a concrete offer for help from Elijah which should a)
be commended ("nice job!") and used but b) we should maybe try to think about
what other resources would help.

Dirk