[Rd] Changed behaviour of 'R CMD INSTALL'

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 11 16:16:48 CET 2012

On 11/01/2012 14:00, Berwin A Turlach wrote:
> G'day Simon,
>
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:53:27 -0500
> Simon Urbanek<simon.urbanek at r-project.org>  wrote:
>
>> try --no-multiarch
>
> Thanks, works perfectly.
>
> And now I notice that this option is given as an example in the help
> file for install.packages() as a possible value that one wants to pass
> to 'R CMD INSTALL'.  Could kick myself. Well, it is always easier to
> find something when one knows what one is looking for... :)

There are good reasons for the change in logic.  Far too often people
have installed packages that actually only work for one architecture,
and then distributed them as binary packages.  Most of us really do want
to know if the package works at the end of INSTALL.  So it seemed a lot
safer that you need to actually say that you intended to install only
one architecture.

And BTW, test-loading has saved me many times blowing away a working
package for one that does not work, so it has been far more useful than
I anticipated when I added it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk