[Rd] Problem in vignette packaging of Sweave in utils package

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Jul 3 21:21:06 CEST 2012

The HTML help related pages are dynamically generated upon request, so there are no static pages that would exist otherwise. I can get to the index pages for each of the packages mentioned in Yihui's post.

That being said, I can replicate the vignette issue on:

R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22) -- "Roasted Marshmallows"

which was a clean install on OSX Lion using the OSX binary on CRAN.

> browseVignettes("utils")
No vignettes found by browseVignettes("utils")

> browseVignettes("grid")
No vignettes found by browseVignettes("grid")

> browseVignettes("parallel")
No vignettes found by browseVignettes("parallel")

> vignette("Sweave")
Warning message:
vignette ‘Sweave’ not found

However, Matrix and survival did work.

Curiously, testInstalledPackages() did work for the vignettes without returning an error:

> Result <- testInstalledPackages(types = "vignettes")
Running vignettes for package ‘utils’
Running vignettes for package ‘grid’
Running vignettes for package ‘parallel’
Running vignettes for package ‘Matrix’
Running vignettes for package ‘survival’
> Result
[1] 0

I then installed:

R version 2.15.1 Patched (2012-07-02 r59715) -- "Roasted Marshmallows"

from Simon's site and:

> browseVignettes("utils")
> browseVignettes("grid")
> browseVignettes("parallel")
> vignette("Sweave")

all worked.

So it would appear that there was something amiss with the 2.15.1 release packaging or something involving the vignettes at least for those packages. A review of the NEWS file did not reveal anything obvious to me that would be relevant.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz