[Rd] installing spam package is failing (spam_0.29-1)

chuckles the clone frobnutz at sogetthis.com
Tue Jul 17 08:34:07 CEST 2012

Thank you for your snark but it was not necessary.

In fact I *have* read the "documentation". That's how I got R installed
in the first place. But I followed, again, the instructions on that page
and, again, I am still at version 2.13.1. (SEE BELOW)

Is there some other means of causing R to update to the latest version?
There is nothing at all in the "documentation" that suggests I should be
having this issue or what to do about it.

Thanks!

# apt-get install r-base
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
r-base is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

# apt-get install r-base-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
r-base-dev is already the newest version.
r-base-dev set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
root:~#

root:~# R --version
R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)
Copyright (C) 2011 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)