[Rd] installing spam package is failing (spam_0.29-1)

Heather Turner ht at heatherturner.net
Tue Jul 17 10:15:05 CEST 2012

I expect what's happened is that you have installed R at some point,
then later updated Ubuntu, which caused the R repository you had stored
to be disabled.

Try running

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

If my guess is right, you will probably have something like

# deb http://<my.favorite.cran.mirror>/bin/linux/ubuntu natty/ #disabled
on upgrade to oneiric

Note that the whole line has been commented out! To fix, simply
uncomment and replace the old ubuntu version (e.g. natty) with your new
one (e.g. oneiric). Then, assuming you already have Michael Rutter's key
on your system, just run

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

and you should be able to upgrade to 2.15.1

Best wishes,

Heather