[Rd] Have download.packages consider non-CRAN repositories

Ingmar Schuster ingmar.schuster at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Jun 22 15:10:14 CEST 2012

Hi Uwe and List,

Thanks for your suggestions.

It's a complete repository with source Packages and the PACKAGES(.gz)
index file under "src/contrib/". As mentioned: explicitly calling

install.packages("PACKAGE_NAME",
repos="file:///Users/arbeit/Documents/clarin/Open_Science/PMR2/",
type="source");

works without any problems. But configuring the repository through
R_HOME/etc/repositories and obmitting the repos argument to
install.packages() is what I want and what doesn't work. Ideas?

> And note that is must be a complete repository, i.e. packages in subdir
> "./src/contrib". A user can use install.packages(....., type="source") if
> you do not provide binaries in case they are expected by default.
>
> Uwe Ligges

I knew about the type="source" argument to install.packages() but
hoped there would be a way to permanently configure this as default
for a source-only repository.

Thanks,
Ingmar Schuster

--