[Rd] Have download.packages consider non-CRAN repositories

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Jun 23 17:00:17 CEST 2012

On 22.06.2012 15:10, Ingmar Schuster wrote:
> Hi Uwe and List,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> It's a complete repository with source Packages and the PACKAGES(.gz)
> index file under "src/contrib/". As mentioned: explicitly calling
>
> install.packages("PACKAGE_NAME",
> repos="file:///Users/arbeit/Documents/clarin/Open_Science/PMR2/",
> type="source");
>
> works without any problems. But configuring the repository through
> R_HOME/etc/repositories and obmitting the repos argument to
> install.packages() is what I want and what doesn't work. Ideas?

1. I haven't tried your syntax from above, but I'd rather use
  "file:/Users/arbeit/Documents/clarin/Open_Science/PMR2"
or under Windows in a safer way::
  "file:c:/Users/arbeit/Documents/clarin/Open_Science/PMR2"

2. Maybe you forgot to set the Repository active via setRepositories()?

3. Why don't you just set the repositories at startup, e.g. in
Rprofile.site or your personal .Rprofile via:

local({
       r <- getOption("repos")
       r["myCRAN"] <- "file:////store/ligges/public_html/CRAN"
       options(repos=r)
})

works for me with store being a machine in the network (via UNC path).

Best,
uwe Ligges