[Rd] --as-cran and need to ignore.svn directories

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 12 18:47:47 CET 2012

    > On 12/03/2012, at 18:03 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

    >> Good morning:
    >>
    >> I submitted a package update to CRAN and got a bounce because I had
    >> not run R CMD check with "--as-cran".  I'd not heard of that before,
    >> but I'm glad to know about it now.
    >>
    >> I see it warns when my functions do use partial argument matching, and
    >> I like that advice very much.
    >>
    >> Also I see this warning
    >>
    >> * checking package subdirectories ... WARNING Found the following
    >> directory(s) with names of version control directories: ./.svn
    >> ./R/.svn ./data/.svn ./inst/.svn ./inst/doc/.svn ./inst/examples/.svn
    >> ./vignettes/.svn These should not be in a package tarball.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to cause R to ignore the .svn folders while running R
    >> CMD check --as-cran or R CMD build?
    >>
    >> It seems a little tedious to have to copy the whole directory tree to
    >> some other place and remove the .svn folders before building. I can do
    >> it, but it just seems, well, tedious. I have the feeling that you
    >> "frequent flyers" would have worked around this already.

    > Paul,

    > I think the best solution is to 'svn export' svn directory to a
    > temporary directory/folder:

No, I don't think that should not be needed.

When building the tarball,  'R CMD build' *does* ignore the .svn
folders, at least for me.

Paul's problem was using  --as-cran on his SVN *directory*
but that's a slight contradiction in itself, as the CRAN maintainers
always run the checks on a tarball...

Martin