[Rd] --as-cran and need to ignore.svn directories

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:43:06 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Martin Maechler
<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> [...]
[snip]

>    > Paul,
>
>    > I think the best solution is to 'svn export' svn directory to a
>    > temporary directory/folder:
>
> No, I don't think that should not be needed.
>
> When building the tarball,  'R CMD build' *does* ignore the .svn
> folders, at least for me.

My tarball was created by R CMD build, I don't know why the .svn
folders were included.  There are no .svn folders in the packages I
made with 2.14.1, so I suppose that is the first problem I have to
figure out.  This was my first build with R-2.14.2.  If I get an
answer, I will write back.

> Paul's problem was using  --as-cran on his SVN *directory*
> but that's a slight contradiction in itself, as the CRAN maintainers
> always run the checks on a tarball...

I don't have an argument against what you say, and I'm glad to do it
however you recommend. But I don't understand this. How do you get the
tarball without first doing R CMD check and R CMD build on the working
directory where the package lives?  I just do what seems to be
recommended in the tutorial by Friedrich Leisch "Creating R Packages:
A Tutorial" and the R extensions document. Until now, I have done this
in the shell to create the package.

R CMD check rockchalk
R CMD build rockchalk

You mean everybody doesn't do it that way?

>From now on, I'm adding --as-cran with check, but what else?

After that finishes, I should be running check on the tarball that was
created by build?

While I'm asking basic packaging questions, I have a vignette
packaging question. My vignette is in

vignettes/outreg.Rnw

The R build process runs latex to make sure the vignette can be built.
But, as far as I can tell, it does not copy the pdf file into

inst/doc/outreg.pdf.

So when building the package, I should still manually compile the pdf
and move it over there?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director