[Rd] r-forge build failure bafflement

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 02:47:59 CEST 2012

On 12-03-30 08:14 PM, Brian G. Peterson wrote:
> On my phone, so replying off-list, but wouldn't loading the data
> objects in a running R session and using the appropriate
> compression arguments to save() do the trick? - Brian

  I might try that, but I have a strong suspicion that R will try to
load the data objects anyway to see if they are compressible ...  I'd
have to look more carefully at resaveRdaFiles (in
src/library/tools/admin.R) to be sure, but it looks like line 860

        suppressPackageStartupMessages(load(p, envir = env))

unconditionally loads the files and would trigger the search for the
package -- I don't think this is avoidable.

 [cc'd back to r-devel for discussion/archival purposes]