[Rd] file 2 is not in sorted order error building unsuffered consequences

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:48:17 CEST 2012

On 12-05-08 1:46 AM, Joshua Wiley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just downloaded the source tar ball (Revision: 59324 Last Changed
> Date: 2012-05-07) and tried to compile on a Win x64 system.  I am
> using Rtools version 2.15.0.1919.  The only change I make is changing
> MkRules.dist ->  MkRules.local and setting Multi=64  I have previously
> compiled unsuffered consquences without issue, but on the current
> version, I get this error
>

> windres -F pe-x86-64  -I../include -i dllversion.rc -o dllversion.o
> comm: file 2 is not in sorted order
> make[3]: *** [R.dll] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [../../bin/x64/R.dll] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [rbuild] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I did not note any other errors or warnings earlier on, though I may
> have missed some.  I can provide the full log if requested.  Any
> ideas?

I believe that message is about the file src/gnuwin32/Rdll.hide.  It is
supposed to be sorted, using ASCII collation order.  I believe the
version in the repository is sorted properly; can you check yours?

We've had some problems with recent versions of Cygwin not sorting
properly.  The last instance had it put names in the order

  BZ2_bzWriteClose at 20
  BZ2_bzWriteClose64 at 28

but ASCII order should put @ after 6.  Are you using the comm and Cygwin
dlls from Rtools, or have you got newer ones?

Duncan Murdoch