[Rd] [R] how to remove the 'promise' attribute of an R object (.Random.seed)?

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Wed May 23 17:41:04 CEST 2012

OK, I switched to r-devel.

I'm caching the random seed by saving and lazy loading .Random.seed,
so I think it should always be valid (except that it becomes a promise
which is essentially an integer vector).

The complete process is as follows:

set.seed(1)  # R generates .Random.seed now
tools:::makeLazyLoadDB(globalenv(), 'random_db', variables = '.Random.seed')
lazyLoad('random_db')
rnorm(1)
# Error in rnorm(1) :
#  .Random.seed is not an integer vector but of type 'promise'

As I explained earlier, the purpose is for caching when an Sweave
document involves with RNG; instead of running set.seed() again, I
just lazy-load the seed. I'm not sure if this is a convincing enough
application. You might frown on the use of :::, though.

Thanks!

Regards,
Yihui
--