[Rd] accented charatchers in a package manual

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 18:34:38 CET 2012

On 14/11/2012 15:24, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 14/11/2012 9:22 AM, Denis Talbot wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I am writing an R package manual and there is still a warning when I
>> run "R
>> CMD check" about "NON-ASCII contents without declared encoding". I do get
>> the warning comes from an accent in the name of one of the author
>> (Geneviève), but I can't find what I am supposed to do about it. I know
>> there is a section about encoding in the "Writing R extension" manual,
>> but
>> I couldn't understand what I should do from reading it.
>>
>> Any help is welcomed.
>>

> You need to declare what encoding you are using.  Put a line in your
> DESCRIPTION file like
>
> Encoding:  utf-8
>
> If you don't know what encoding you are using, you can probably find out
> by reading the docs for your text editor, or just guess:  If you are on
> Windows it is likely latin1, on Linux it is likely utf-8.  If you guess
> wrong you'll get errors or ugly text when R produces the manual.

But note the manual says

'Only encoding names latin1, latin2 and UTF-8 are known to be portable.'

'utf-8' is never correct and may or may not be accepted.

The error message 'Non-ASCII contents without declared encoding' (sic)
occurs in processing Rd files.  So you would probably do better to add a
\encoding{} line to the Rd file where the name occurs.  There are many
examples in the R sources, e.g. src/library/graphics/man/text.Rd .