[Rd] BibTeX entries in CITATION file

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Thu Nov 22 17:35:36 CET 2012

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> While trying to define a customised CITATION file for a package, following
> R-exts, I realised that if I use only one 'citEntry' I got both a text
> description and a BibTex entry for the package, as for the 'nlme' package:
>
> --------------------------
> citation('nlme')
>
> To cite package 'nlme' in publications use:
>
>  Jose Pinheiro, Douglas Bates, Saikat DebRoy, Deepayan Sarkar and the
>  R Development Core Team (2012). nlme: Linear and Nonlinear Mixed
>  Effects Models. R package version 3.1-105.
>
> A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is
>
>  @Manual{,
>    title = {nlme: Linear and Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models},
>    author = {Jose Pinheiro and Douglas Bates and Saikat DebRoy and Deepayan
> Sarkar and {R Core Team}},
>    year = {2012},
>    note = {R package version 3.1-105},
>  }
>
> -----------------------------------
>

> BUT, if I use two or more 'citEntry' in the CITATION file (e.g., for the
> manual and a book), the bibTeX entries are NOT shown any more, and only the
> text description for the two or more entries are shown, as for the 'boot'
> package:
>
> -----------------------------------
> citation('boot')
>
> To cite the 'boot' package in publications use:
>
>  Angelo Canty and Brian Ripley (2012). boot: Bootstrap R (S-Plus)
>  Functions. R package version 1.3-7.
>
>  Davison, A. C. & Hinkley, D. V. (1997) Bootstrap Methods and Their
>  Applications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ISBN
>  0-521-57391-2
> -----------------------------------
>
> Is there any way to show the two bib entries for cases similar to the 'boot'
> package ?

toBibtex(citation("boot"))

extracts the two BibTeX entries.

See also

Kurt Hornik, Duncan Murdoch, Achim Zeileis (2012).
Who Did What? The Roles of R Package Authors and How to Refer to Them.
The R Journal, 4(1), 64-69.
http://journal.r-project.org/archive/2012-1/RJournal_2012-1_Hornik~et~al.pdf

for more details and discussion about the underlying ideas.

Best,