[Rd] [R] choose folder interactively

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 28 14:56:44 CET 2012

On 28/11/2012 13:43, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Duncan Murdoch
> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12-11-28 7:39 AM, Ivan Calandra wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear users,
>>>
>>> I am looking for a function to choose a folder interactively, just like
>>> file.choose() but for a folder.
>>>
>> "choose.dir()" does exist on Windows, so you could switch to that OS, or
>> write your own equivalent for MacOS.
>
> Is this the sort of thing for which a patch to the Mac-specific code
> would be welcomed/of some interest by R-Core or are their good reasons
> this doesn't already exist?

Yes, it would be of interest.   It would need to rely on Aqua/Quartz and
be written in Objective-C: unless something is done for the Quartz event
loop in command-line R (which is not impossible as the quartz() device
does so), it would be confined to R.app.

The main constraint is that we have very few people who know enough
about Mac GUI programming (and Objective-C) and R internals.

It was simple enough on Windows as we already had choose.files (and a
GUI for file.choose): that would also be worthwhile on a Mac.  We also
has someone keen enough on Windows GUI programming (although he did not
last long).